Pursuant to the Democratic Party Plan of Virginia (“the Party Plan”), the 17th State Senate District Democratic Nominating Committee (“the Committee”) hereby calls an Unassembled Caucus for the sole purpose of choosing a Democratic nominee for the 17th State Senate District (“the 17th District”).
Caucus Rules, Forms, and Information. Caucus Rules will be posted, along with other pertinent forms and information about the nominating process, on the websites of the Spotsylvania, Orange, Albermarle, Louisa, Fredericksburg and Culpeper Democratic Committees. Any changes to the Caucus Rules will be updated at that site.
General Participation Requirements. Each participant in the Caucus must be a qualified voter in the 17th District at the time of their participation. No participant in the Caucus may intend to support any candidate who is opposed to the Democratic nominee in that General Election.
Voting Opportunities. Participants in the Caucus may vote only in person and at the designated time and location. The Caucus will be held from 1:00 p.m. to 3:00 p.m. on May 16, 2015 at the Culpeper Democratic Committee, 102 North Main Street, Suite 200, Culpeper, VA 22701.
Candidate Requirements. Each candidate for nomination must meet all applicable requirements of state law, the Party Plan, and the Caucus Rules. Each candidate for nomination must submit a completed Declaration of Candidacy form and petitions to the Chair of the Committee no later than May 9, 2015 at 5:00 p.m. Each form must bear the original signature of the candidate. If only one qualified candidate files by the deadline, that person will be the nominee of the Democratic Party and the Caucus will be canceled.
For questions about the Caucus, to request any accommodation necessary to ensure full participation, or to file a Declaration of Candidacy, please contact Doug Ferguson, Chair of the Committee, any time at firstname.lastname@example.org (540) 898-3749. Candidates wishing to file must mail their Declaration of Candidacy to the Spotsylvania Democratic Committee, P.O. Box 1231, Spotsylvania, VA 22553-1231 in sufficient time to meet the deadline of 5:00 p.m. on May 9, 2015. (“Postmark does not apply.)
Rules for an Unassembled Caucus:
- All times shall be read from the official clock, to be determined by the 17th State Senate District Democratic Nominating Committee Chair.
- The doors of the caucus room will open and the certification process will begin at 1:00 pm on Saturday, May 16, 2015.
- The doors to the caucus meeting room will be closed promptly at 3:00 p.m. Persons standing in line to complete a Caucus Participation Form at the time the doors close will be allowed to complete their forms and participate in the caucus.
- Every person who participates in the caucus must complete a Caucus Participation Form and sign a statement that says they are a registered voter of the District, believes in the principles of the Democratic Party, and that he or she does not intend to support a candidate opposed to the Democratic nominee in the next ensuing election.
- The chair of the Committee shall act as the temporary chair of the caucus.
- The secretary of the Committee shall act as the temporary secretary of the caucus.
- The caucus shall be conducted in accordance with the Virginia Democratic Party Plan and the Call to Caucus.
- The first order of business shall be the election of a permanent chair.
- The permanent chair shall appoint a tellers committee.
- Only those candidates properly filed as a candidate for the House of Delegates on or before the deadline will be recognized as such and included on the ballot.
- Ballots will be prepared listing the first name, middle initial, and last name of each candidate properly filed in alphabetical order. It is prohibited to give any preferential treatment to any candidate and none will be listed as the “official candidate.”
- Caucus participants may vote for individual candidates by placing an “X” beside the appropriate name.
- The tellers committee shall count the ballots.
- There shall be no campaigning inside the caucus room or check in area.
- There will be no Press or Observers permitted in the room in which balloting takes place.
- Tie votes will be decided by the flip of a coin.
Adopted:__April 30, 2015___________(date)
Signed:__Douglass R. Ferguson______(Chair)
Authorized and paid for by the 17th Senate District Democratic Nominating Committee